Sunday, March 27, 2005

This is exactly why you should never allow yourself to succumb to a full fledged flu just before taking a one week holiday across snow, frost and ice! You'll end up half drugged like me, bundled in layers and layers until I resembled a dumpling, and coming back to the hostel to rest before it got properly dark (which was the only thing we could do anyway because it seems there isn't much of a night life in the Scandinavian region)

So it was 3 nights in Copenhagen. I swear all the medication I was taking was non-drowsy, but my time around Copenhagen seems abit hazy. Alot of nice buildings, statues, and my much awaited pilgramage to find The Little Mermaid. My daddy said she'd be abit of a dissapointment, and really she isn't much of a statue to wow and gasp at, but it's the whole fairy tale, the sorrow in her eyes as she gazes at the bay, the city she loves but can't be a part of, the love lost and the life she gave up. That is the magic of The Little Mermaid.

It was a pity the Tivoli is closed until April. My parents said it's quite a sight, but then again me and my motion sickness didn't miss much I guess. Otherwise Copenhagen is just a dear little fairy tale city with a very attractive royal family (actually, I'd think ANY royal family is attractive after having to live with the British royal family and their antics for the last one and a half years)

Malmo was a really pretty harbour city, my favourite kind really. With the cobbled streets and oldish squares, and lots of alleys. Goteborg after that was rather dissapointing. Probably because of the horrid misty weather that met us after 3 days of pure sunshine! The Maritime museum we visited though was really one of a kind. After climbing on and off and through so many types of boats, warships and submarines, I've really had my fill of boats for the rest of my life!

After Goteborg, the sunshine in Stockholm was really very much welcomed. What really amazed me was how the lakes stayed solidly frozen, and I mean COMPLETELY WHOLLY frozen and yet the sun was blazing! There was still plenty of snow all around, and coupled with the lovely harbour views and canals and alleys, Stockholm was truly the cherry on the icing (and there was plenty of it - ice I mean!)

So I'm finally back home, trying to rid myself of the last stubborn bits of this flu and remaining MSoc secretary work. Come on, come on, come on... let go!