Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Dress Code according to PAS

I was speaking to a Malay friend today who hasn't been keeping up with Malaysian news and hasn't been home in awhile. I told him and my Sri Lankan friends who were listening about the new RM500 fine for sexy dressing in Kelantan and how all Muslim women are required to cover up to their ankles and wear a tudung or headscarf to protect the chastity of women.

My Sri Lankan friends exclaimed "What? How can they? What about the men? Shouldn't they have a dress code too? Why are men never to blame?"

My Malay friend said, "What's wrong with that? It's according to Islam"

...
...
...

I'm reevaluating my choice of wearing a baju kebaya to the Christmas Ball this Friday. You see, even though it isn't really my actual traditional attire (ethnically speaking) and actually belongs to the Muslim majority in my country, it's body hugging, butt emphasising, bustiere like design is likely to erode any morals I am likely to possess as a woman. To ensure that my morality is kept intact, like money in a wallet, I should wear a burlap sack according to PAS.